To promote good nutrient absorption, trim the roots and loosen up the root ball before replanting. Use a sharp knife or pruning shears for this job, removing as much as the bottom third of the root ball if necessary. Don't be surprised if what you cut off is a thick tangle of root tissue.
So, do redbud trees need full sun?
Choose a good location. Redbud trees prefer light shade, especially in the summer. The tree is fairly adaptable, however, and can also tolerate full sun.
What is the root ball of a plant?
A root ball is the main mass of roots at the base of a plant such as a shrub or tree. It is of particular significance in horticulture when plants are repotted or planted out in the ground.
Do you remove the burlap from the root ball?
- Examine the tree before you buy it.
- Spread a tarp for the soil.
- Remove any protective outer wrapping, but leave the burlap on to hold the roots while you position the plant in the hole.
- Cut away as much burlap as you can.
- Use the plain loose soil on the tarp to fill in the hole around the root ball.