The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute offers more information on the causes of overweight and obesity.
- Food and Activity. People gain weight when they eat more calories than they burn through activity.
- Health Conditions and Medications.
- Stress, Emotional Factors, and Poor Sleep.
Subsequently, one may also ask, what are the three main causes of obesity?
What causes obesity?
- A diet high in simple carbohydrates.
- Frequency of eating.
- Physical inactivity.
- Psychological factors.
- Diseases such as hypothyroidism, insulin resistance, polycystic ovary syndrome, and Cushing's syndrome are also contributors to obesity.
What makes a person obese?
Obesity is a condition where a person has accumulated so much body fat that it might have a negative effect on their health. If a person's bodyweight is at least 20% higher than it should be, he or she is considered obese. If your Body Mass Index (BMI) is between 25 and 29.9 you are considered overweight.
Can obesity be caused by genetics?
The evidence so far suggests that genetic predisposition is not destiny-many people who carry so-called “obesity genes” do not become overweight. Rather, it seems that eating a healthy diet and getting enough exercise may counteract some of the gene-related obesity risk.